I’m renovating my home. What should I be aware of?
- If you are renovating or doing home maintenance, make sure you think about electricity and the impact it may have on where you are working.
- Switch the power off at the main switch if you are doing any household maintenance or renovations.
- Light fittings, switches and power points are connected to live wires, even when switched off and should not be removed for painting.
- Do not use metal ladders, metal scaffolds or metal painters’ trestles when working close to wiring, as they conduct electricity. Take care not to make contact with electrical cabling when nailing and fixing metal roofing and tile battens.
- When selecting outdoor lights and power points, check that they are weatherproof, approved and suitable for outdoor use. A licensed electrical contractor should also install these.
If you or anyone in your home or business gets an electric shock or a tingling feeling from taps or water pipes, switch off the power at the main switch and call Horizon Power immediately on 13 23 51.
Visit the Be Aware of Electricity page for more safety tips.