Skip to main content


How can I stay safe around electricity?

Here are some do’s and don’t to keep you safe. More information is available on our Safety page.


  • Always turn off appliances that are not in use.
  • Hold the plug, not the cord, to remove an appliance from a power point.
  • Use only one double adaptor per power point.
  • Stop using an appliance immediately if it becomes faulty and get it checked by a licensed electrical contractor before using it again.
  • Take care not to stretch or damage electrical cords. If a cord is damaged, do not use the appliance. If a cord is wound on a reel, unwind it before use to avoid it overheating.
  • Always ensure your hands are dry before touching appliances or switches. Avoid using electrical appliances in the bathroom.
  • Ensure outdoor power points are weatherproof, approved and suitable for outdoor use.
  • Only use party lights that are suitable for outdoor use and string them away from pools and other water sources.
  • Ensure you have Residual Current Devices (RCDs) installed and test these every three months.
  • Be aware of electrical infrastructure on your property such as underground electricity green domes or mini pillars which contain live electricity cables and can cause electric shock or electrocution if exposed.


  • Never attempt to carry out electrical work unless you are a licensed electrical contractor.
  • Never remove a plug from a power point until the appliance has been turned off.
  • Do not touch electrical appliances if you are wet or near water. Water and electricity do not mix.
  • Never use or leave electrical appliances where they can fall into water. Only clean or submerge appliances in water if the manufacturer’s instructions clearly state that it is safe to do so. If liquid spills into an electrical appliance, unplug it and have it checked by a licensed electrical contractor before using it again.
  • Never insert metal objects into an appliance or power point. Safety covers prevent or discourage children from doing this and are available from department/hardware stores.
  • Never leave electrical appliances unattended around children.
  • Never use portable appliances, power tools or extension leads in water or when it is raining. If you have a generator, use on a dry surface. Do not allow it to get wet. It should also have an isolation switch.

If anybody in your home or business gets an electric shock or a tingling feeling from taps or water pipes, switch off the power at the main switch and call Horizon Power immediately on 13 23 51. In emergency situations, dial 000.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Fill in the form below or view our contact details to get in touch.

* Indicates a mandatory field.

Get in touch

Residential Account Enquiries:
1800 267 926
(8 am - 5 pm weekdays)

Business Account Enquiries:
1800 737 036
(8 am - 5 pm weekdays)

View all contact details