Horizon Power is fully prepared to respond to any impact on our electrical infrastructure which could be brought about by Tropical Cyclone Stan as it nears the Pilbara coast.
Horizon Power General Manager NWIS Business Ziggy Wilk said crews were on standby in Port Hedland and Karratha to swing into action should any powerlines or other infrastructure be impacted by the severe weather event.
“Our crews and support staff are fully prepared to respond. Our preparations have included making work sites safe, refuelling vehicles, ensuring equipment is checked and ready to use, and contacting our customers who rely on life-support equipment.”
Tropical Cyclone Stan is predicted to cross the coast between Port Hedland and Karratha on Saturday.
Advice to customers
- Do not at any stage go near a fallen powerline. Always assume a fallen powerline is live and stay well clear. Report the fallen line to Horizon Power on 13 23 51.
- Do not use any electrical appliances that have been damaged or submerged in water.
- Keep your emergency kit with your at all times. This should include a battery operated radio and torch.
- Turn off the gas supply and turn off all electrical appliances and unplug them. If you have lost power, keep on one light so you know if the power is restored.
- Do not use a landline during a cyclone. Use a mobile only in emergencies.
Media line: 1800 799 745